(Russian:матрёшк) or a Russian
nested doll set was carved
in 1890 by Vasily Zvyozdochkin from a design
Sergey Malyutin, who was a folk craft painter in the Abramtsevo
estate of the Russian industrialist and partron of arts Savva Mamontov.
The doll set was painted by Malyutin himself. Malyutin's doll set
consisted of eight dolls — the outermost was a girl holding a
six inner dolls were girls, the fifth doll was a boy, and the innermost
was a baby.